Thursday, March 31, 2011

April Fools!


Dear Winter,

Please go away! We want to go to the beach!

XOXO,

D


April, a new month, and one day close to warmer weather. Damon is excited about April Fools and I still haven't come up with anything fun.

Last year we had a silly dinner with meatloaf cupcakes, mashed potato "frosting" and dessert pot pies. I think I got the instructions for the pot pies at FamilyFun.com (not sure), but they were pretty simple and here are some pictures if you want to try it.Rolled up tin foil holds the pie crust in shape while it bakes, and then it is easily removed once everything has cooled. I used a fork to make our initials for vent holes.

The filling is shaped chewy candy like starbursts and chewy jolly ranchers (that's where I got the bright green.) You can eaily soften them in the microwave, but it only takes a few seconds. I learned this lesson the hard way on a seprate occasion (it happened on a late March evening in Iowa, anybody remember?) I also used dried apples for the "chicken." Then stir it all in vanilla pudding. It's fun and everything tastes pretty good. Now I have to think of something new for this year. If you have any ideas let me know.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

That is a way cool Idea. I never thought to do something like that,but now that I'm a mom, I guess I need to start thinking that way.

My friend said she gets a lot of Food April Fools jokes from food network!!!

Elise said...

I really like both of those ideas. My friend brought us cupcakes that looked like spaghetti and a meatball, mashed potatoes, and peas and carrots. They were really cute and made with basic stuff. I always have grand ideas and never do them. April fools day always sneaks up on me. I'm always amazed it is a new month clear until a week or two in so that's probably why. Ha!

Miss you guys!

Cordie said...

Love that beach picture. Come to Florida :) By the way, I think you are the next Martha Stewart. Please teach me a thing or two!

Cherryl said...

Heh, that really looks like chicken pot pie. What a cute idea. I need to do something like that next year. I never did anything fun like that with you kids, sorry. The thing that I remember about April Fools is that Keith Martindale always told a story on the air that people believed and I sent you and Lori up the street to meet Dad and to tell him that I was in labor. He didn't believe it. That was when I was pregnant with Elise.