Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Have you ever...

Damon certainly has a mind of his own. He is very inventive and is always wanting to make something. We are in the process of building a play house in the back yard, and every day he tells me what new thing he wants to make in his "work shop, that's what I'm going to call my play house." He is also VERY stubborn! The combination of these 2 traits means that he has either made me so mad I don't know what to do next, or I am so happy to just be with him that I want nothing more. Like when he taught me how to write with a stick on leaves. Never mind that we had a notebook and pen within arms reach. He thought it was so much fun to create his own idea. I loved playing along.





Everyday he amazes me. Sometimes by how stubborn he can be, but always by how much I just can't get enough of him.

Update: After reading this over today I thought I should probably say that Damon & I are happy with each other most of the time. He just argues about everything and it drives me crazy, but the other day I found out he doesn't mind it all that much. Here's what happened. I was explaining something to him, which he had to argue about. He would not let it go so I just left the room. He promptly followed me and said, "We were arguing?" Then after a pause he said, "like 'you were saying' only we were arguing, where were we?" I was a little shocked and said I didn't want to talk about it anymore and he said he did. What? He was enjoying the arguing which was making me mad. One thing I always try to remember when a child has a trait that is a little difficult to deal with. As an adult it will probably serve them well. As long as they can learn to appropriately use it. That's part of what growing up is all about. Right?

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Who would've thought to write on a leaf!!! I think that is one of the pleasures I'm finding out about too...I can't get enough even when I get so mad sometimes. What a special boy you have!!

Straley Family said...

I could use a little perspective into my children's stubborn traits that all come from the straley side of the family.

Cherryl said...

You are very wise beyond your years, you always have been. I had so much fun being with Damon last weekend. I can't wait to try those recipes. Thanks for always letting your brothers go to your house. They love it.