Monday, February 1, 2010

I love DIY,

But sometimes it is A LOT more work than I expect.
This is a little glimps at our bookshelfs in the making.

Lucky for me Tyler was the brains behind this whole operation. He worked really hard and I did my best to be a worthy assistant. If it hadn't been SO cold it would have been a lot more tolerable. I would sneek in the house once in a while just to warm up.
I tried to get as much done as I could before Damon got home, but he did get in on the action a little bit and he couldn't have been more thrilled. Notice the shorts. He wasn't out there very long.

Since we aren't carpenters we had to make due with the tools we had. This did cause a few problems; everything took much longer, there were a few "difficult-to-fix" mistakes, and we had to use tools in pretty inventive ways. But it all turned out ok in the end. And thank goodness for an insulated garage or I don't think this would have even been possible this time of year.

Here they are installed. I am still working on filling them. It is a little hard to tell, but they are HUGE. So it is taking me awhile. They are another one of my steps toward better flow and organization in my house. I am having a little bit of a problem being practical and still pretty. Any advise. I will put up some pictures of our family room after I finish a few more projects: recovering an old couch (hopefully), finishing some cute pillows, finding some old, but sturdy chairs that I can give new life to.... I will paint if I have to, but after the shelfs and this room I am pretty tired of painting. I went through almost 3 gallons of paint in 2 days. This was one part of the project that Tyler would have no part of. I guess I can't have it all.

I love them!

9 comments:

The Rowlands said...

WOW! They look awesome!

Cordie said...

Oh my gosh, they turned out PERFECT!!! I LOVE them and I want them!

Cordie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
leah said...

The shelves are amazing! If we weren't in the process of moving, we would so hire you guys!! love them!

Brad and Emily said...

I'm impressed. I always dream up projects thinking they will be so simple and they never are.

Elise said...

Great work! They totally transform the room. Can't wait to see how everything else works out. Although, I'm all for the couch staying as is. :)

Natalie said...

Wow. Truly. An out-loud "Wow" was verbalized lol. I love DIY but my projectS never turn out QUITE that nice. He's hired.

Bryant and Jodi said...

I love them! When are you coming back out to Iowa to make me some??

Cherryl said...

I love the shelves and your room. The purple is so pretty. The picture of Damon helping is so cute. You guys are so talented. I am proud of you.