Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Crayon Hearts!

As I've mentioned before I love Pinning. I realized I need to start some of the projects I pin instead of putting them on a board and forgetting about them. So, I picked a couple of Valentine's Day projects. One is a gift for Damon and I will post it later. The other is a little something for his friends at school. It was great because I got to use up all the little crayon pieces we have lying around the house. I decided to group the crayons into like colors instead of mixing all the colors together (like the one I pinned.)

I removed the wrappers and cut the crayons into little pieces.


Then I put the pieces in a heart mold. I think I got it at Target a few years ago. It is actually for ice cubes, but it is dishwasher safe and the oven only needed to be on 230 so I put them in, crossed my fingers, and hoped for the best. Everything worked out great, and as soon as they were cool I popped them out. There is a little crayon residue left in the mold, but it is easy to scrape out. Tyler also had a few comments about our "rainbow cutting board,"but I just flipped it over and used the other side. After a few passes through the dishwasher it is nearly good as new.


Here are the fun little heart crayons. We just need to make a card to stick them to and they will be ready to slip into the little Valentine's Day pockets at school.

Damon was pretty excited that the same day we were making Valentine's he found this strawberry in his Special K. Nearly perfect heart in the middle.

P.S. I don't think a morning goes by that we don't have a bed head situation going on over here.

P.S.S. In case anyone was wondering, we didn't get any snow.

3 comments:

Brad and Emily said...

I love that idea. I hate how much candy the kids get at school.

Cherryl said...

I love all your cool craft ideas. You would have loved making them and giving them to your class on Vday. That strawberry was very cool. Hope Damon had a lucky day that day. And I love the hair.

Elise said...

I am like Damon. I have tons of pics of food that is shaped like a heart over the years! : )
We made these tonight and are sending them to ballet this week. They turned out great and look so cool. We can't wait to use them.