Thursday, January 24, 2008

Twiddeling Thumbs in the freezing cold!

The last few weeks have been soooooo cold. Even for here. We are lucky if the highs reach the double digits. Because of the unusually cold weather we have been spending a lot of time at home. I don't seem to want to go anywhere when it is this cold out. One of the things I have enjoyed having time for is concentrating on new meals. We get stuck in a rut sometimes and have the same things for dinner. I wake up on Thursday and know it is Papa Murphy's night. Then on Friday it is tacos. And so our nightly meals go. Always the same. Over Christmas Elise and Brady shared with us a really easy and yummy meal from his family cookbook. We baked it at my mom's one night and then a couple of weeks ago I tried the same thing in my crock pot. So..., drumroll please.......

Sweet and Sour Chicken (which Tyler usually won't eat, but enjoyed)

1 pkg. onion soup mix
1 c. russian dressing
2 c. apricot jam (I used a little less for Tyler's sake)

Mix these together and pour over chicken. (I think we used 2 1/5 lbs. chicken breast at my mom's and I used about 3 1/5 lbs. of chicken legs, skinned).
Serve the chicken and cooked sauce over rice.

I also think it would be good to add some chunks of pineapple, but again Tyler wouldn't have that.

When we baked it for about and hour the sauce was a little thicker, when I did it all day in the crock pot it was thin so I thickend it like you would gravy.

Both ways were very simple and delicious. Thanks Martin's.

Try it out and let me know what you think. Also, anybody else with a fast and easy meal, please share.

4 comments:

Cordie said...

I've tried that recipe but I have one very similar that I like even better! It is called Cranberry chicken
1 pkg onion soup mix
1 cup catalina salad dressing
1 can of whole berry cranberry (sauce)
You cook it the same way as your other recipe! It sounds gross but it is SO good! Let me know if you try it and like it!

Elise said...

No problem! I'm glad you like it. I really like it too. Yum! I hope people post some meal ideas for ya. I'm in desperate need also. Maybe it's the season. I'll have to think and see if I have a good idea for ya. We have been doing a lot of twiddling here also. It is super cold in Iowa too. It has gotten between -20 and -30 for a week. Brrr.

Tara said...

I love that you put a recipe on your blog. I will have to do the same. I love easy meals!

TORI, SHAD, AND TY said...

Hey Donilyn- I have come to tag you! Yay! Go to my blog to see what to do!