Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I know it's almost fall when

the pears are ready to be picked.

I also feel it when the nights are cool but the days are still hot, I start wanting soup more often, and Tyler is gone hunting all the time.

We canned our peaches and early plums this week and I can't wait for the smell of pear butter in my kitchen. Yum!

It's so much work, but worth it. Now for something that's not so much work. A couple weeks ago a friend shared this yummy recipe with me. Cake mix and assorted baking chips have now become some of my essential pantry items. This is one of those things you can whip up really fast at the last min.

Cakemix Cookies

1 box of cake mix

1 c. baking chips, or candies, or nuts, or dried fruit, or oatmeal, or ...

1 egg

1/4 c. oil

1/4 c. water

Mix everything together, drop on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15 min.

The best part is you can mix and match. My friend used chocolate cake and peanut butter chips and they were so yummy. Last week I tried lemon cake and white chocolate chips. mmmmm There are so many combinations to try.

Another one I love is Italin pasta salad. You know tri-color noodles, italian dressing, tomatoes, olives, capers... I just throw in anything I have that sounds good.

So, I want to hear your quick and easy recipes that you can make in a hurry!

4 comments:

Brad and Emily said...

I'm so jealous of your fruit trees. When I grow up I want a house with fruit trees just like yours.

Elise said...

Any chance there will still be some pear butter in your kitchen when we come??? Sounds delicious! I'm so glad you put this recipe up because I was trying to think of a desert to make to take with a meal I'm taking to my friend who just had a baby. I think choc. peanut butter is going to win although the lemon sounds good too. I have a super yummy, quick pork chop recipe. I can't remember if I've given this one to you before...

Golden Pork Chops

~Brown 4 or 5 pork chops
~Put in crock pot with 1 can cream of mushroom soup and 1 can golden mushroom soup
~Cook on low for 4-8 hours

These are great w/ mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles.

You can also double it.

Enjoy!

Tara said...

When your title read, "I know Fall is coming when....." Thought you were going to say "...when you get nauseous.:)Remember the good ole' days? I'm living it now, and not loving the nausea. Getting better, but nothing like the change of seasons to remind you of the old days. I have a super good chocolate chip recipe that you will want, but I guess you have to call me sometime to get it.

Cordie said...

WOW those pears are beautiful! You are making miss the fall feel, it still feels like summer here.